Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The World Championship is over

I am sitting on a train going from Canada into USA. I wanted to have a couple of days before I thought of what we actually gave accomplished in the World Championship. For those who have followed my blog this far knows that Sweden did not win any match, leaving us in the 19th spot. At this time I would however like to look at our World Championship in a more positive way. When I think about what we have achieved it must be positive. Why?
In our team we have ten players that played in the national team for the first time. This despite that our last major event was the European Championship just one year ago. This means that a majority of our players had never played with each other before we set out on this journey. Still in the eight games we played, we scored 36 goals, that is an average of 4,5 goals per game counting all games. The first goal ever to be scored by Sweden in a World Championship was made by Anneli Jonsson. That goal was scored in the game against Haudenosaunee. I repeat, it was scored against Haudenosaunee, the originators of the game. That first goal moment is not coming back.
Our goalie, Pernilla Malmgren has only played as a lacrosse goalie during this year. That is right, last year there was no thought in her mind that she was playing as a lacrosse goalie even in her club team. Yet she made save after save and although not all games went her way, she improved a lot over the tournament. I tried to look at some statistics, but not all games were available. In the ones I did find she made more than 10 saves in every game.
Talking about improvement, I dare to say that all of our players improved a lot even though it was more noticable four our newer players. They will all bring that back home and spread their knowledge to their respective teams. That is what is all about in the end. Bringing the knowledge back to home. Growing the game! With new strength we will do what we can to improve ourselves. That is what it is all about and looking back at the games that is what we will do. So even if we did end up in last place, the Swedish participation in the World Championship was a big success.
I read some Facebook posts earlier from some of the players who have returned home and started to think about their participation in the world championship. There is no sadness and no regret, there is only happiness and pride. I understand them. I am proud of being part of the Swedish national team of Lacrosse. I am proud of represent my country in a World Championship. Every team member make me proud, both the players and the staff. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment